The Future of the Internet is Upon Us – Unlock the Marketing Potential of Web 3.0
However outlandish it may seem for the Internet to be undergoing a drastic reinvention, this is the reality of Web 3.0. Building on the technologies surrounding cryptocurrency and non-fungible tokens (NFTs), the world wide web is entering its third stage in a series of evolutions that date back to the early 1990s. It’s time to unlock the marketing potential of Web 3.0.
Web 1.0, also known as read-only web, lacked interaction as it was primarily used by companies to share information. This grew into Web 2.0, or read-write web, the version of the internet we currently use but are moving away from. The growth of innovations like social media and cloud servers in Web 2.0 made connectivity and user participation key aspects of this iteration. As the internet continues to advance, we are entering a space — Web 3.0 — where the public will have opportunities for ownership and control over personal data. Also referred to as read-write-execute web or Web3, this is the vision for the next era of the internet where control will be in the hands of the users.
What are the defining characteristics of Web3?
While there is not yet a universally agreed-upon definition for Web 3.0, it can be understood through the explanation of some of its prominent features:
- Decentralization: The core principle of Web3. This means redistributing the power from centralized entities to individual users and simultaneously storing data in multiple locations rather than database giants. Decentralizing the internet requires the use of blockchain technology and open-source networks, and will give users responsibility and freedom over their own content, increase security and promote transparency.
- Ubiquity: The internet will be everywhere. In other words, it will be more connected, accessible, and integrated into every aspect of our daily lives. Online experiences will be available to anyone from anywhere at any time through a variety of technologies.
- Semantic Web: This can be thought of as computers speaking human language. By advancing from relying on simple keywords to actually understanding what users mean, the Semantic Web will heighten the search and analysis capabilities of technology. This makes for a digital environment where humans and machines communicate more efficiently.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI): The ever-growing capabilities of computers to simulate human processes are creating an intuitive, curated online environment. One application of AI is machine learning, which allows computers to passively learn and improve accuracy. These technologies will help the internet better serve its users by creating customized, relevant experiences.
- 3D Graphics: The integration of three-dimensional graphics into the internet helps create fully immersive experiences for users. With the advancement of technologies like augmented and virtual reality, the abilities of 3D graphics have grown resulting in far more dynamic environments.
How will Web 3.0 impact your marketing strategy?
An entirely new generation of the Internet, and the cutting-edge technologies driving the development of it, opens a world of opportunity for brands and their marketing strategies. Now more than ever, it is crucial for your company to learn and grow with the web. Considering the defining features of Web3, brands have the chance to rebuild trust and deeply connect with consumers. We can already see a multiplicity of manifestations of the development of Web 3.0, including the Metaverse, NFTs, ChatGPT and more. Marketers are learning how to make the most of these technological advancements by allowing their strategies to simultaneously evolve. Use these examples as some inspiration as we move into Web3:
- Vans partnered with Roblox, a rapidly growing metaverse platform, to create “Vans World.” This interactive, immersive experience helped strengthen brand awareness among the company’s target demographic.
- McDonald’s used its NFT launch to increase social media engagement. A tweet from the company stating 10 lucky winners would receive exclusive NFTs received over 80,000 retweets and nearly 55,000 likes.
- Gucci experimented with a social media platform and game in the metaverse called Zepeto. The partnership allows users to purchase virtual luxury wearables for their avatars.
These examples are just instances of companies dipping their toes into marketing with Web 3.0. The opportunities for brands to start conversations and increase awareness and engagement are boundless and will only continue to grow as we enter further into this new era.
We can help you find how your brand fits into this new generation of the internet. It’s time to unlock the marketing potential of Web 3.0. Appleton is an award-winning, full-service Orlando advertising agency that works with local, national, and international clients to deliver impressive ad campaigns, branding, print, web, public relations, social media and video services — all in-house. At Appleton, we want to learn about your business, empower your marketing team and be your creative resource. Your advertising goals are worth a conversation: contact us at 407-537-6352 or email@example.com.