Last week, Appleton delivered a SEO presentation to a group of lawyers at Dean Mead. We discussed why it’s important for lawyers and law firms to enhance their SEO practices. In Part 1 of the series, we examined the first five tactics on how to boost lawyer’s online presence. Now let’s go over the last five tips.
5 Tips for Lawyers Looking to Boost their Online Presence:
1. Be geographically aware.
Website visitors often search for services based on their location. For example, “real estate attorney Orlando.” In addition, Google gives priority to websites that offer services in a user’s location.
Try to include references to your office’s location in your article. Craft an “about the author” paragraph to include your city. On your bio and firm pages, be sure you specifically mention the geographic region you serve.
2. Include video.
To say that video is “hot” right now is a huge understatement. Optimizing video for search is incredibly important. Take a look at a few stats:
- Video will account for 80% of internet traffic by 2015.
- Websites with video capture audiences 5x longer.
- Websites with video convert faster.
- Consumers are more than twice as likely to email lawyers with video than those without video.
- Sites with video are more than 50 times more likely to have a front-page Google result.
- YouTube is the second most popular search engine after Google.
3. Give readers a sense of your personality.
An official attorney bio page should contain not only your resume and links to writings, but also a strong narrative that describes you and your specialties in a more approachable manner.
Also consider adding a short video. When writing for the web, find a way to take what could be a boring legal topic and make your audience care about it. Use a unique tone, and develop a flow. Your readers should recognize your writing by the way it reads rather than the byline. Here’s a few things to note:
- 73% of consumers want a feel for a lawyer’s personality before contacting a firm.
- Storytelling, tone, imagery, and length all work together to create your personal brand.
- Video is a strong way to convey personality and be more accessible to your audience.
- Attorney names are some of the top keywords for a firm website – customers and peers are actively searching for you online.
- Many consumers and peers use LinkedIn as a starting point for legal firm research.
4. Be active on social media.
Use both corporate and personal social networks to build your online presence, spread the word about your articles, and improve SEO.
- Fully complete your LinkedIn profile and make it publicly available
- Make sure your LinkedIn profile is current with your website profile. Take advantage of new features such as “skills and expertise.” Be sure to list your industry and practice area specialties.
- Use your LinkedIn profile statuses to broadcast when you post a new article; this also creates a record of your online writing history.
- Make sure your LinkedIn profile links to your firm website, especially your bio page (you can add up to three links to your LinkedIn profile).
- Use geographic keywords for your office website name, such as Fort Pierce Commercial Law Firm.
- Your bio link should include one of your specialties and ideally, the geographic region. For example: Orlando Bankruptcy Lawyer.
- Promote your blogging in-person to encourage peers to visit the website.
- Follow other law blogs and link back to your articles in comments where relevant. Look for opportunities to be a guest author.
- Continuing growing your social networks; make it a habit to add peers to LinkedIn.
5. Be mobile-friendly.
There’s no doubt that mobile is the hot topic in the SEO world at the moment. It’s fair to say, that mobile is leading the way in the digital age.
- By 2014, there will be more mobile Internet users than desktop users.
- Make it easy for mobile users to take your content with them with a mobile-only or responsive website.
Appleton Creative is an award-winning, full-service advertising agency located in Orlando, Florida. Appleton Creative is a award-winning, full-service advertising agency located in Orlando, Florida. Appleton works with local, national and international clients to provide marketing strategies through print, web, social media and video production – all in house. At Appleton, we want to learn about your business, empower your marketing team and be your creative resource. Your marketing goals are worth a conversation: contact us at 407-246-0092 or email@example.com.Tags: mobile, Social Marketing / SEO, social media, video